This summer, I had the pleasure to read a recently published first novel by author Jonathan Spikes.
"I Know What I am and I am Not What you Call Me!
This is both a captivating and inspiring novel. This is a book about the triumph of the human spirit; it is a story about breaking the cycle. In this new novel, Jonathan takes the reader on the tumultuous journey of Damon, the protagonist, from childhood trauma, to adolescence, and into adulthood.
The story begins with a very vivid and disturbing account of abuse:
"No, No!" I scream. My body is drenched in sweat. I struggle to catch my breath as I yank off my shirt. I glance over my right shoulder. The alarm clock reads 3:00 a.m. Now I am wide awake. I keep tossing and turning, tossing and turning, trying hard to fall back asleep. But sleep is clearly impossible and has been for the past several years. Tonight is just like all the other nights. When I close my eyes, I re-live that terrifying moment when I cried: 'I want to go home, I want to go home!'
The memory of his small sterile bathroom still haunts me. I was five. I was cold and cramped as I sat on the toilet. The walls were stark and white. Light blue mouthwash, toothpaste, and some ragged toothbrushes lined the countertop above the sink, and the toilet paper holder needed a new roll. Just like the sky, the shower curtain was blue with a pattern of clouds on it. I stared at that curtain, praying he would let me go home. The foul odor of urine sickened me.
He began to speak. His deep baritone voice echoed in the tiny space. 'You better not tell anyone or I won't let you go home. Do you understand?'
I was scared, but I managed to nod my head...The metal pieces on his belt clinked as he unbuckled it. I stared at his fingers as he unbuttoned his pants and places his hands on his zipper...
This book is definitely a must read!

No comments:
Post a Comment