Wednesday, August 24, 2011

For starters, I would like to say a word of thanks to our “Movie Night” host, Felix. His hospitality was impeccable. I have been part of the Brotherhood Miami (which I affectionately abbreviated “BM”) for six months now. In that time, the Brotherhood has incorporated film and theater to augment the literary experience. “Finding Me”, an indie GBM film selected at the June-July book club meeting, is a cute romcomdramedy featuring an underemployed Jersey City PYT who must juggle an intense new boyfriend (courtesy of the NJ Transit System), a grieving homophobic father, and a gaggle of outrageous friends smacking him around in the name of tough love. “Finding Me” is low budget with a predictable plot, but the film’s pace, endearing characters, and surprisingly tasteful love making scenes add up to a passing grade. However, the funniest moments of the film didn’t come from the script, but from the peanut gallery! It would be impossible for ten GBM lounging in a luxury apartment on Miami Beach to watch a movie about GBM and not talk to the screen. The comments weren’t the least bit distracting, but instead, provided flavor to the viewing experience. I am thankful for the intermittent commentary---it allowed me to hear from brothas I may not hear speak in the book discussions and the clucking was really quite funny. Overall, the “Movie Night” was a blast and hopefully it will become a fixed part of the Brotherhood’s social calendar.