So, the last book we read as a group was Benn Setfrey's "Don't Shoot! I'm Coming Out!". While it's been said one should not judge a book by its cover, I should admit I had my reservations about this particular reading. The garish picture and font that marred the cover of Setfrey's book, were uninviting at best! However, reluctantly, I managed to read "Don't Shoot! I'm Coming Out: How to Man up And set Heterosexuals straight".
The title which seemed to imply a tone of affirmation regarding homosexuality, turned out to be a total disappointment. Instead of espousing the "I'm here and I'm queer" mantra which one would come to expect from reading the title; Setfrey, by contrast, is highly critical of homosexual behavior and mannerism throughout his book. It's hard to say what this book is really about. In Don't Shoot!, Setfrey asserts himself as an expert motivational speaker, and at times relationship counselor, while at the same time castigating gay men for being too effeminate, and referring to them as "sissys".
From cover to finish, Don't Shoot! is a complete contradiction. One gets the sense that this is an extremely conflicting person who is attempting to make sense of it all; a task in which he's failed miserably. This is definitely not a book worth recommending to anyone, let alone have on a shelf.

No comments:
Post a Comment