While waiting in line at my local grocery store a few days ago, I was excited to pick up the July issue of Black Enterprise magazine. I was drawn to the bold purple letters that adorned the cover of this magazine I assumed to be conservative; "Black & Gay". Granted it should not have come as a surprise, considering my brother Charlton had mentioned the article a few days prior. Nonetheless, I was excited to witness such topic make the front cover of a black magazine. The front cover article "Black & Gay In Corporate America: Breaking Through Isolation & fear", is a signal of hope; it is perhaps an indication of a shift in attitude within the black community with regards to same sex issues. To borrow a quote from the article, “the tide is changing with the next generation. The experience of an LGBT baby boomer is very different from that of a Gen Xer or Millenial”….

No comments:
Post a Comment