I'm sure many of you have had the pleasure of reading this great classic. I've just finished reading Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man for the first time. Perhaps the title was what drew me to this book. I knew it was a book on race relations from a few review; but to me, Invisible man goes way beyond race and identity, and I was completely captivated throughout the entire book. One oversimplistic way for me to describe this book is to have you imagine "Alice in Wonderland". In Invisible Man, Ellison transports his reader through several layers of consciousness, as the main character is being pulled, pushed, dissected, reconstructed, transformed throughout the entire story. You get a bit of everything in this visionary book, a little bit of history, some philosophical thought, a little bit sex, you name it.
And to finish, I will leave you with a random quote from Invisible Man:
"Our task is that of making ourselves individuals. The conscience of a race is the gift of its individuals who see, evaluate, record...We create the race by creating ourselves and then to our great astonishment we will have created something far more important: we will have created a culture.

No comments:
Post a Comment